On May 14, 2014 I published my first blog post. It’s almost embarrassing now to look back on those old posts. I had no idea what I was doing (I still don’t!). Honestly I started my blog because I was bored. Bored with my job, bored with my boring life. I needed a hobby! So I jumped in head first. I started writing about nothing really, our everyday life I suppose. Then a month later I found out I was pregnant. It was a great place for me to keep my friends and family updated on my pregnancy and health. That’s how XO Kerry turned into what it is today. I found my passion writing about motherhood. Now I love to share our stories, style, products we love and a ton more. I don’t consider myself an expert on blogging (far from it) but I have learned a few things in the last few years and I’d like to share them with you…
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Someone will always get a better collaboration or have prettier pictures. There will always be people with a higher following or more page views. Don’t sweat it. Just do you!
- Writing is hard. There I said it. I don’t always feel creative. I don’t always have something to say. So I don’t! I used to make it a point to post 3-5 times a week because I thought I had to to stay relevant. That was a huge lie! My readers care more about quality work than quantity of posts.
- Internet friends are real friends. I’ve met and become friends with so many amazing women. I may not know them in real life but they support me and cheer me on. If I’m having a bad day they are always there to say they’ve been there and offer a virtual hug.
- You aren’t going to make a ton of money! Sure I make enough to keep myself constantly caffeinated (hello $4.95 latte) and my daughter in cute shoes but my husband isn’t about to quit his job anytime soon. If I worked harder or really tried to monetize I’m sure I could make a lot more. I like my blog just the way it is though!
- Networking is key. I’ve joined several blogging groups on Facebook. They are filled with a wealth of knowledge and people looking to support you. I’ve also met most of my above mentioned internet friends in them!
- People won’t see your content unless you put it out there! Share, share, share. Sometimes I feel like I spam my Facebook friends with my posts but hey, it’s my job!
- Instagram isn’t where to put all your social media focus. I have a love/hate relationship with IG. I have my highest follower count over there but it rarely brings views to my blog. Focus on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter instead.
- It’s OK to say NO. I used to accept any collaboration request. I once posted about bladder incontinence! Now I try to focus on only collabs that fit my lifestyle. Once again it’s not about quantity but quality.
- You’ll get rejected. I have a list of brands I’d love to work with. A few months ago I started reaching out one by one, little by little. Right off the bat I was shot down. I was devastated! But the next day I heard from another brand saying they would love to work with me! I learned to take it in stride and know that not all brands will say yes, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to give up! I plan on emailing them in another 6 months to a year.
- Family comes first. My husband and daughter will always come before my blog or social media. I have no idea what is going to happen in October when I have two children to keep alive! There have been times I’ve felt myself staring at my phone for too long in one day. I don’t want my children to ever feel like they come second.
- Blogging is probably the best thing I’ve done (next to my husband and kids of course!). Blogging lets me be creative and put myself out there. It gives me “me” time. And most importantly it brings me joy! I love sharing parts of our lives with you. I love hearing from people that my outfits inspired them to get dressed. I love knowing that after 3 years I have a following of other moms just trying to survive this crazy thing called Motherhood!
Thanks so much for sticking with me all these years! You have no idea what it means to me.
You may have noticed my blog got a little facelift last week. As a gift to myself, for my 3 year blogiversary, I decided to make the switch to WordPress. I love my new design and the functionality of WordPress. There’s still a few kinks I’m trying to work out. I was an avid Blogger user for 3 years after all! If you are looking to make the switch, I highly recommend reaching out to Kristen. She is a master and made it almost painless on my part.